Make sure you have Google Maps downloaded to your phone when planning a cross-country road trip this weekend or driving to your next city. Not only useful for getting directions and giving you the best route, the navigation app also includes lesser-known features to make reaching your destination easier.
If you have never used Google Maps before, it will not only help you get to your destination on time, but it will also help you avoid getting lost. Google Maps, along with some additional features, allows you to customize your map experience and even order a home delivery.
Here, we focus on features that help you get to your destination with ease. Read on for 6 great Google Maps tips to help you get there safely, healthy, and on time. Find hidden Google Maps tricks for travelers to get more information.
Use Live View to guide you to your destination as you walk.
If you park your car 5 blocks from your destination, it can be difficult to see where you are going by following the little blue dots. Google’s Live View tool lets you raise your phone’s screen to see exactly where you’re going.
This feature uses the camera to scan surrounding buildings and displays large arrows on the screen to help you find the exact location you want. Here’s how to use it:
1. In the Google Maps app, enter your destination and tap Get Directions.
2. Select the walk icon at the top of the map screen.
3. Click the Live View button at the bottom of the screen. It’s next to the Start button.
4. Point the camera at buildings and street signs (the app must grant access to the camera). As you begin to walk towards your destination, large arrows and street names appear on the screen to guide you.
Download tracks when phone signal is lost
It never fails. Your phone loses signal when you desperately need directions. Fortunately, Google Maps allows you to pre-download directions so you don’t have to worry about getting lost. This trick is especially useful if you travel in areas with poor cell phone coverage.
1. Enter your destination in the Google Maps application.
2- Touch the place name or address at the bottom of the screen.
3- Scroll right and tap Download.
4- Click Download again. Maps of selected regions are now available offline.
When you use Google Maps offline, you will not be redirected when your phone loses signal.
Keep your destination private with incognito mode
A feature for Android and iPhone users allows you to go incognito while using Google Maps. This means that you can hide your location from other map users, as well as the location you searched for. So if you want to surprise someone special with a cute necklace, this is exactly what you should do.
Open the Google Maps app, tap your profile icon in the top right corner, then select Go Incognito. When you’re ready to turn off the setting, follow the same steps and select Turn off incognito mode.
Include multiple stops to get an accurate ETA.
If Google says the trip will take 7 hours, but in the end it will take 8 hours, it’s probably because you didn’t include multiple stops along the way. Google Maps allows you to add stations to get a more accurate destination time.
1. In the Google Maps app, enter your first destination, such as a gas station or coffee shop.
2. Click Get Directions.
3. Click on the three dots menu in the upper right corner.
4. Click Add Point. Add as many stops as you want.
5. When you finish adding waypoints, click Done. Now you can get a more accurate time when planning your trip.
Find a place to park your car
It’s important to know where you can and can’t park, especially if you’re late for work or driving somewhere unfamiliar. In the end, instead of driving to find a parking spot, it uses Google Maps to point you in the right direction.
1. In the Google Maps app, enter the location or neighborhood where you want to park your car.
2. Click Get Directions.
3- Zoom in on a location to see all the P icons near your destination. Press P (to park).
4. Click Add Waypoint. The parking space is added as the first stop on the route and you can continue to your next destination.
See real photos of your destination using Street View
Photos can be deceiving, so before you book a fancy hotel, use Street View to see what it looks like on Google Maps. Next year, Google hopes to launch a new Street View camera that will allow you to map and take pictures of the world.
1. In the Google Maps app, search for a location, such as the hotel where you want to stay.
2. In the lower left corner there is a small square with a picture of the building. This is a street view of your area, so click to see what it looks like.
3. Swipe your finger across the screen to zoom in/out and check the area.
Article Source : https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/6-google-maps-tricks-to-use-this-weekend/